Stuck in a rut about what to name your new furry companion? I’ve found the best way to solve this is name it after something you already love. Here are some great running inspired names that work well with any pup.
- Dash: For your faster canine, feline, or fish.
- Boston: The world’s most famous marathon.
- Achilles: A famous hero in Greek mythology.
- Higdon: One of the greatest running editors and coaches. He still contributes to Runner’s World on the regular.
- Cadence: A running term meaning stride rate.
- Miles: Those things you run every day.
- Nike: Goddess of victory (and the famous shoe company).
- Kenya: Home to some of the fastest runners in the world.
- Champ: For the winning canine.
- Forrest: Name your dog after Tom Hanks and give him magic shoes.
- Newton: Named after Joe Newton, the famous running coach from Elmhurst.
- Bolt: In honor of Usain Bolt, the fastest man in the world.
- Pheidippides: The first guy to run a marathon ever.
- Strider: This name just sounds like it was made for a running dog.
- Chase: For the dog that you can’t catch.
- Buddy: Because at the end of the day, that’s what any running companion is.
- Chicago: My hometown, one of the greatest marathons in the world, and the name of Kim Kardashian’s youngest child.
- Boylston: The greatest left turn in the world.
- Rocky: That famous boxer played by Stallone. He did a few runs around Philly.
- Spike: Named after the Boston Marathon unicorn mascot.
- Honor: What we all get when we finish a marathon.
- London: Another world marathon.
- Atalanta: A famous runner from Greek mythology.
- Desiree: The winner of the 2018 Boston Marathon.
- Tempo: The worst part of marathon training could be a great name for a pooch.
- Marathon: Because duh.
BONUS: if you want to get some odd stares at the dog park, name your pooch “Fartlek”.
OTHER BONUS: This dog’s name isn’t inspired by running, but he sure has nailed his love for the sport.